sexta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2019

Sketching along the pista #2



Cycling from Arraiolos to Évora along the Ecopista is a great way to start an adventure: a smooth, well-graded cycle path along the former railway track. The railway opened in 1907 (opened further north to Mora in 1908) and closed in 1990. Along the way are several old railway buildings and I presume my subject was a small station or railway cottage. Whatever, it was great spot for a picnic lunch with figs from the old tree out the back sweeter than any from the supermercado.


I used wax crayons as a ‘resist’, that is, the waxy crayon resists the water-based paint causing the latter to do deliciously unpredictable things. I used orange crayon along the top of the front wall and then white to give a general effect of decrepitude. Pleasingly (and coincidentally I should add) it gave the impression of speed, as though I was racing past on the bike. The brown pencil was a quick under-drawing while I was balancing on a rock eating figs, juggling my implements, and savouring a snatched moment of bliss.

Sem comentários: